This was pretty good! As it cooked the house smelled amazing! The Mister and I really enjoyed this meal. I did change a few things, as you'll see below.
Gotta love spicy food! It had a nice kick to it that we enjoyed. We also loved the 3 meat combo. Instead of following the recipe, I took into account the comments that were made about the recipe on the allrecipes.com website. The most repeated thing was that the chicken breast was dry. So, I decided to use less chicken breast and to substitute some boneless and skinless thighs to help off set the dry breasts. The 2nd most popular comment was that it was too watery, so I decided not use any broth. Both turned out to be a good decisions. The store that I went to didn't have any andouille sausage, so I went with beef kielbasa instead. The last change was that I increased the amount of cayenne pepper for our taste, including some jalapeno.
I served this over brown rice with a chunk of crusty French bread.
Jambalaya adapted from: Colleen's Slow Cooker Jambalaya
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halvesboneless & skinless: 2 chicken breast and 2 chicken thighs, cut into 1 inch cubes 1 pound andouille sausage14 oz package of beef polska kielbasa sausage, sliced 1 (28 ounce)2, 14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes with juice
largemedium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
1 cup3 stalks, chopped celery
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely diced (**addition)
1 cup chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
12 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 pound12 ounce bag of 31-40 count frozen cooked shrimp without tails, thawed
- In a slow cooker, mix the chicken, sausage, tomatoes with juice, onion, green bell pepper, celery, and broth. Season with oregano, parsley, Cajun seasoning, cayenne pepper, and thyme.
- Cover, and cook 7 to 8 hours on Low, or 3 to 4 hours on High. Stir in the shrimp during the last 30 minutes of cook time.
Source: Colleen's Slow Cooker Jambalaya
Rating: 4 forks