Thursday, August 16, 2012

Shirataki Noodles: Miracle Noodles?!

I've been getting more serious about living a low carb lifestyle.  It's pretty hard,  as I am addicted to carbs,  but I keep trying everyday.  I'd love to eventually be eating Paleo style 90% of the time... We'll see how long it takes me to get there!  :-)

I've seen many blogs and videos taking about these "miracle noodles".  Back in the day I tries the tofu version and they were disgusting.  A few days ago I tried a different kind. They tasted MUCH better! Following the instructions is so important.  Not doing so will result in a less than impressive experience. Note: I am not sure if these are Paleo friendly. They seem like it, but I'm not 100% sure.

I liked them, I guess I would consider them miracle noodles.  I ate mines with a homemade spaghetti sauce.  They are perfect for once in a while when you really want some pasta.  I probably won't be eating them more than twice a month,  if that.  These noodles take on the flavor of what ever sauce you're cooking. The only thing that is blatantly different is the texture.  It's a tad rubbery, but if you really want to have pasta and consume 1 net carb per serving versus say 41...you'll get over it.

They come in all kinds of shapes and sizes, so you can make all your pasta favorites. Fettuccine Alfredo, Spaghetti, even Macaroni & Cheese, they're all back on the menu!

They can be found in most Asian markets or Whole Foods.  There are many different brands of these noodles so you may have to try a few to find the one you like.  Also, read the ingredients, you could easily pick up the tofu ones if you're not paying attention.

Tip: These don't do well sitting in sauce overnight. They swell up and become very mushy.  You will need to prepare the whole package of noodles at once.  But if you don't eat whole package and have leftovers, keep them separate from any sauce until you're ready to serve.

Have you tried them? What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tamara,
    I really liked your blog about shirataki noodles. Miracle Noodles are a staple in our house. And yes they are paleo friendly, I use the Miracle Noodle brand..I prefer them because they have no tofu, have zero calories, zero carbs, and the varieties as you mentioned..are awesome!! They suggest a dry roasting method on their website which can enhance the texture. I found so many fantastic, easy, economical recipes on their Facebook page which is so great. I get them at many Whole Foods or at their site at www.miraclenoodle.com. Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete