Sunday, July 28, 2013

Books and Wine | First Annual Wine Pairing Event - Food & Wine Edition

Bound By Sista'hood Book & Wine Club
I'm not sure if you're aware, but I'm a part of two women's book clubs. The first book club is my own, and the second book club is one that I joined a few years ago. The second book club is all about books and wine. The founder thought up this amazing event, which consist of having one big food and wine pairing event once a year. This was our first year and it was a success! For this event we all (some of us) cook various foods based on the six wines we planned to taste. Others brought food from restaurants. It was very organized with five food courses and the sixth course was dessert. We even had a little folder with descriptions of the wines and our menu. We have lots of yummy food, lots of yummy wines and we talked about a book that sadly wasn't very good.

I hosted at my home, I think it was a good time and it was the perfect space because my living room, dining room and kitchen area are all open concept. We originally planned for 8 to attend, but we had a few last minute additions and we ended up with 11.  It was a tad cramped, but it was a blast anyways! 

I've included a couple of the pictures from the event, a few photos of a few dished that I was able to snap between pouring wine, handing out water and other hostess duties. Not to self: next time appoint someone as photographer. Apparently it's hard to host and take photos of the event.

Our menu included delicious Parmesan Crusted Tilapia, Spicy Black Bean Soup, Grilled Asparagus & Feta Salad, Pulled BBQ Chicken, Beef Brisket, Lasagna, Spaghetti with Bolognese Sauce, a variety of cheeses and last but not least wine!  For dessert, we had Caramel Cake, assorted mini cupcakes and Key Lime Pie. All of this food was paired up with wine and which we enjoyed as courses.  As each wine was poured and tasted, we ate the appropriate dishes. 

If you want the details on the grilled asparagus and feta salad that I made head on over to my food blog, True Foodie at Heart.
Cheese anyone?

Spicy Black Bean Soup'
BBQ Pulled Chicken & Pretzel Rolls
It's a book club, so we did talk about a book. Well sort of we did. Out of 11 of us, only one person completed the book, maybe two or three nearly finished, and the rest either gave up or didn't read it at all. I feel sort of bad because I did not bother reading the book. First because not only do I just not like one of the authors, second, I don't really care for relationship books. The third strike with that it was a non fiction self help book on how to catch and keep a man. So unfortunately, there is no book review for me to link up for you. Don't get me wrong, I'm actually read every other book in that book club, which is why I sort of bad for not reading this one. I did initially say that if I could find the book in the library I would attempt reading it, but since I was unable to find it I sure wasn't going to spend my money on it.


It was a fabulous time and I can't wait for next year!

Cheers,
~Tamara


Save room for dessert!

Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment