Saturday, October 3, 2015

September Favorites (2015) | Food, Technology, Local Finds & More

Where have I been for the last month?!  Dealing with a promotion at work, that's where.  Same place of employment with tons of more work. I'm out of the house at 7am and I've been getting home around 7pm. By the time I cook dinner, watch a TV show with my husband, do a few things around the house, next thing you know it's 10 o'clock and the night is gone.  My time after work hasn't been my own lately.  Happily I'm making some changes so that I can share some fun posts that I have planned for October, so get excited!  Without further ado, find out what I've been loving during the month of September.

Food & Drink

  • Bali's Best Candy - A few years ago at the RT Convention in Chicago, an author gave out the Bali's Sweet Tea candy with her Southern themed book. Flash forward to last month, I remembered that candy and wanted more of it! So looked up the brand on Amazon and found that Bali's offers coffee flavored ones also! Since I love coffee and tea, of course I had to try it.  I ordered this variety pack so that I could try all 6 flavors and they are all yummy, but I LOVE the Latte ones. I brought them to work to keep at my desk for sharing, but after tasting the Latte flavor, I picked all of those out of the mix to keep for myself.  Just delicious. You've got to try them.
  • Smart Ones Breakfast Wrap - I picked the up Sausage, Egg, and Cheese wraps at Costco because I was getting tired of my usual breakfast routine.  I don't like to eat a lot of processed foods for breakfast so I don't eat these everyday, but I allow myself have a breakfast treat a few times a week. Personally, I think twice a week is acceptable. These travel well and heat up in under 2 minutes. I eat them at my desk in the morning with a little bit of salsa on top. One serving has two small wraps packaged together in a wrapper. They seriously do not taste like diet food at all and they are filling. I'll eat this with some coffee at 8am and I'm good until noon.
  • Green Mountain Pumpkin Spice Coffee K-Cup for Keurig Vue - I've been enjoying this coffee almost every morning. Brew this on strong, then add a measured tablespoon of Pumpkin Spice creamer (either of the popular brands will do), 1 splenda packet, topped with a small amount of whipped cream with a sprinkle of cinnamon and nutmeg and it's a perfect fall morning in a cup! Try it out.
Michigan Local Finds | The Maple Theatre/Great Lakes Coffee -  Both of these businesses are in one building and are attached. I've been there for coffee twice and there for a movie once in the past month and a half. I totally think this is one of those local places that's a hidden gem. You don't hear a lot about it and it isn't one of those places you'd think to go to. It's quaint, small and very unique.  The Maple is described as a "Upscale cinema for indie & vintage films offers a cafe & stylish bar that hosts live pre-show music.", which is totally accurate.

The theater is nice and updated. The seats are very comfortable and roomy. The popcorn is amazing! You have a choice between regular and olive oil popped popcorn. Then you have an option of regular or real butter,.,oh boy. We tried olive oil popped popcorn with real butter. Those two items came with a $2 upcharge, but it was worth it! We topped it with Kosher salt. What other theater would you find real butter and Kosher salt?! Right, it's totally a luxury.

The coffee at Great Lakes Coffee is amazing! Thier Chili Mexican latte was more than just memorable. It was near perfection.  Three of us from my book club met up there one day and we all had this latte and we all gushed over it.

The bar is very chic and it's partitioned off a bit from the cafe area by a glass fireplace. It's very warm feeling and appealing. I haven't had a drink there yet, but it's good to know it's option if I want to grab a drink or bite to eat before or after a movie.

Tech Gadgets | I picked up a Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge+ and I'm impressed. This is one beautiful phone. Not only was I impressed with the look, feel and performance of the phone, I was also impressed with all the app freebies Samsung provided to their users. Along with this marvelous phone I got the Samsung wireless charger. 

The only downside that I've found so far is that Samsung Pay doesn't work with Capital One credit cards. That's unfortunate because I really want to use this app. 

Apps (Android OS) | The app I've been loving this month is Snapchat. I caved and finally set up a Snapchat account.  If you'd like to follow my account and see what I'm up to on any given day, my username is shelfaddiction1. I'm not even going to lie - it took me several days to figure out exactly what to do and what types of things to post. I ended up asking my niece (who is in the 9th grade by the way) what people use it for. I think that my age is starting showing. Regardless, I'm finding that I like it. I think that it's a easier version of vlogging. I've always been interested in vlogging and wanted to try it, but I have no desire to edit hours worth of video to post a vlog on YouTube. Daily vloggers get serious props from me in that regard.  While I feel that things on the internet never really 100% go away, it's appealing to me that a Snap is there for 24 hours, then it's gone (supposedly).  In the end, I'm using Snapchat fairly regularly and I'm enjoying it.

That's all I've got for this month.  What about you, what favorites are were you loving last month?

Live Lavishly,
~Tamara

No comments:

Post a Comment